THE seborrheic dermatitis, commonly called dandruff, affects thousands of people and contrary to what many think, it is not a lack of hygiene and it is not an allergy. Dandruff causes insecurity in both men and women, especially when it is at a very advanced stage, being quite noticeable in the strands of hair. But after all how to remove dandruff from hair and have a healthy hair appearance? Find out more about this disease and how to prevent it.
+ Is the hair too dry? Knowing what to do to recover hair
What can cause dandruff?
According to the Brazilian Society of Dermatology, dandruff can occur for several reasons. It can be caused by a fungus called Pityrosporum ovale, by genetics and by external agents such as: allergies, situations of fatigue or emotional stress, low temperatures, alcohol, drugs and excess oil.
Seborrhea dermatitis does not only affect the scalp, as it is a disease of the skin and can appear in different areas of the body that have hair. However, being SBD, the areas most affected are: eyebrows, eyes and around the nose.
You may also like
As mentioned, dandruff is not a poor hygiene and is not a contagious disease. However, it is chronic and there may be peaks of worsening or improvement. Its appearance is not life-threatening, however, it does shake up the emotions of the person suffering from flaking.
What are the symptoms of dandruff?
The symptoms are varied and depend on the stage in which the disease is found, at the initial stage it has itching and peeling of the thinner skin. But at an advanced stage, dermatitis manifests as redness of the skin, crusty skin, and intense itching where it flakes. In addition, with dandruff, the skin and hair can become more oily.
+ Learn to identify hormonal acne and the best treatments
How to remove dandruff from hair?
If you are in an advanced stage with a lot of redness and scabs on your head, the first step is to seek help from a dermatologist. In addition to an accurate diagnosis, you will save time and money because the treatment will be adapted to your type of problem.
But if dandruff is low and is affecting your self-esteem, there are ways to remove dandruff from your hair at home. Below are three homemade methods to solve this problem:
Remove dandruff with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular ways to remove dandruff from your hair. Vinegar is antifungal and antibacterial, meaning it helps kill and control the fungi that cause dandruff. It should be noted that, if it is genetic issues, it will only help clean up and not actually control the problem.
Before treating at home, do not use the recipes below if you have sores at the site of dandruff.
Method of preparation :
- Mix half a glass of water with half a glass of apple cider vinegar (the water should not be hot, it is recommended to use ice);
- Dip a cotton ball in your mixture and apply on the affected areas until they are moistened;
- If the mixture remains, pour it on the scalp and massage for 1 minute to penetrate the skin well;
- Leave on for 20 minutes then wash your hair normally.
How to remove dandruff from hair: tea tree oil
This oil is an antiseptic, in addition to fighting bacteria and fungi that cause dandruff, it helps reduce irritability caused by dermatitis. Know how to use :
Method of preparation :
- Put two drops of oil in a clean and disinfected pot and complete with a little shampoo;
- Mix and apply to the area affected by dandruff;
- After massaging all the hair using this oil, remove with running water;
- There is no need to leave on or apply more shampoo after use, just remove the excess.
Another way to use it is to apply tea tree oil directly into the shampoo bottle and you will have a natural anti-dandruff.
+ Essential oil for anxiety: 5 options to relieve symptoms
Aloe is not anti-dandruff, so it cannot eliminate this problem. But it’s a super natural moisturizer, relieving the itchiness of dandruff. Additionally, aloe leaves the scalp hydrated, eliminating dryness and controlling oiliness, thus preventing the disease from worsening (if caused by fungi).
Method of preparation :
- It is very easy to use aloe on leather;
- Just apply the goo all over the leather and massage for 1 minute;
- Let sit for 20 minutes and after washing your hair normally.
+ What is biotin and how does it help lock and grow nails
What to do to prevent dandruff?
According to the Brazilian Society of Dermatology, even with proper care, dandruff may not go away completely, but it can be controlled. Now see how to prevent the appearance of scabs caused by dandruff:
- Avoid washing your head with hot water;
- Bet on shampoo with: salicylic acid, tar, selenium, sulfur, zinc and antifungals;
- Dry well after showering and do not sleep with wet hair;
- Avoid clothing and accessories that trap sweat, such as hats and hats;
- Completely remove hair care products, such as shampoo, conditioner, moisturizing mask;
- Do not wash your excess hair (this may cause a rebound effect and make the situation worse);
- Avoid washing your hair with your fingernails, always give a gentle massage when washing, without too much pressure;
- Control anxiety and stress (can make dandruff worse);
- Hydrate from the inside out by consuming the right amount of water for your weight.
In addition, it is important not to prick the area affected by dandruff, especially with the fingernails, as infections can occur. Finally, it is worth mentioning the importance of consulting a dermatologist. Only your doctor will know the exact cause of your type of dandruff and can recommend a better treatment.
+ Sources of collagen: 7 foods for more beautiful skin